DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Cracks and dropping window

Postby lpop » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:45 pm

A large gap has appeared and is getting larger quite quickly (currently about 1cm wide) between the windowsill on the ground floor and the window. The gap is only on one side of the window. The windowsill is also moving forward. Below the window on the same side where the gap is, there is a hairline crack in the plaster that leads from the bottom corner of the window all the way down. This crack appears both internally and externally. This has not changed shape or size in the eleven years I have owned the house. The house was built around 1800. Does anyone have any experience of this happening, or any advice on what do do?
Many thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm

most cracks are just settlement cracks, over the years all properties develop cracks. It sounds like just settlement cracks to me, But to be sure you need a professional structural engineer to check it for you.
He is the best person to ask and will provide a report for your records, And If you ever decide to sell you can show the buyers. Cost is about 400 +
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics