DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Cracks appearing around 1st floor flat that was originally a house

Postby theduchess75 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am


I live in a 2 bed main door flat, 1st floor. I believe the property was originally a semi detached that's been split into 4 flats, built in 2011.

I moved in back in August last year. Recently, I've started noticing cracks appearing around the flat. The most noticeable is one above my kitchen door which appears to go all the way through the wall as it matches up to another crack on the other side.

There are also cracks appearing between skirting boards and the wall, especially on the stairs. A light socket in the main bedroom is coming away from the wall, doors have started to stick and things like window sills and skirting boards move when they're pushed.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance,
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 am


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi theduchess75
I would recommend you get a structural surveyor in.
Probably start with your local building control office and see if they can advise.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5411
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics