cracks in exterior render repair
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eddylyons
Apprentice
Apprentice

cracks in exterior render repair

by eddylyons » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

hi just about to start outside now as its summer. i have a few cracks in my render nothing major but was told its best to have them sorted rather than just paint over them. whats the best way to approach this. my thoughts were that i should maybe scrape out the cracks and make them deeper so that when i apply the new render it has a better grip into the wall. what should i use to re render the wall. i have no idea what to use. obviously pollyfiller would be no good but what about caulk as it is kind of water proof?? or is there someting better i can use and then rub down to get a nice even finish prior to painting.....hope someone can help as i want to get this job done before the next winter....

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cracks

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:29 pm

scrape out the crack and use acrylic mastic and then paint

eddylyons
Apprentice
Apprentice

by eddylyons » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

as easy as that.....thanks mate

eddylyons
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: cracks

by eddylyons » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

welsh brickie wrote:scrape out the crack and use acrylic mastic and then paint
cheers mate

trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

cracks in render

by trand » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Not stepping welshbrickies toes (he is very knowledgable), but how old is the render?, mastic is ok , but have a, look, I mean give it a tap if it sounds hollow then its blown , and will need removing, if not then there are epoxy repair kits that will do the job better then mastic

eddylyons
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: cracks in render

by eddylyons » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

trand wrote:Not stepping welshbrickies toes (he is very knowledgable), but how old is the render?, mastic is ok , but have a, look, I mean give it a tap if it sounds hollow then its blown , and will need removing, if not then there are epoxy repair kits that will do the job better then mastic

i tapped the wall and your right, in places it sounds hollow. is it just a matter of chislng out old render and filling with this epoxy repair?? or should i use a render mix. i looked at some fillers that say they are good for outdoor use and they can be sanded down to a fine finish. are these any good?? also if i did use a render mix can i rub it down after to achieve a fine finish or would i have to trowel it nice and flat. appriciate your help. thanks

trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

render crack

by trand » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 am

Sorry bit late in replying, you might have done the job by now, cut off blown render, and re-render, coat the wall and were it joins to old render with a pva, i'd trowel it to a flat finish, good luck as once you start taking off blown render it sometimes goes on and on

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am