Cracks in New Plaster
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
turneruws
Labourer
Labourer

Cracks in New Plaster

by turneruws » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I had some re-plastering done about 3 months ago in one room (two walls replastered, one just skimmed).

I've since PVA'd the walls and then painted them white.

However they are now appear to be showing cracks, which are quite long and noticeable.

As a complete DIY noveive (first time buyer), I was wondering if someone could advise me on:

a. why this has happened
b. What I can / should do about it

Money is quite tight, so any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:03 pm

turneruws,
It sounds like you old walls have taken the moisture out of the new plaster, this is quite common and there's not a quick fix solution. Ideally it would be a re-plaster job, but that sounds like it could be inconvenient. Try some of the paints that claim to cover over cracks and rough plaster work if think polycell do a good one.
regards
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Cracks in the plaster or cracks in the paint?

Which it is requires a different answer.

Cheers

turneruws
Labourer
Labourer

Crack in the plaster

by turneruws » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Rosebery,

Thanks for coming back to to me, I think it's cracks in the plaster as opposed to the paint. It appears to be too deep to just be the paint.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Chris

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:14 pm

In this case I'd just use a good quality filler, let it dry, rub down to get a flush surface and repaint.

My question about the paint cracking is because the dreaded PVA stops the paint adhering to the plaster so as it dries it crazes into lots of little cracks. In this case the only solution is a spirit based primer over the lot before a repaint.

A mist coat is by far the best initial coat to apply on new plaster being a watered down coat of your emulsion. If using Supermatt make it 50/50 - the thinner the paint in the first instance the less water to use. Don't use Rich Matt - it don't stick to new plaster.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm