CREAKING PIPES
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

CREAKING PIPES

by vw754 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 pm

All my fault,i recently had all the house gutted and when i had central heating installed, I made a mistake! the floor boards were up and the pipes were banging so i got the landing pipes and secured them using the usual plastic clips,and they were still banging.

severn trent water came and repaired the problem (it was there problem a valve outside that was faulty!) So i had put clips on and secured the pipes for no reason,thinking nothing of it i carried on doing the house up and had all carpets fitted and got furniture in and moved in......now every now and again the pipes creak.

Have i got to live with this now cuz i dont fancy ripping up the carpets or will this eventually go?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:43 pm

You are mored than likely stuck with the sound. It is caused by the pipes expanding and contracting as they heat and cool. It is normal to fit lagging over the joists so as to allow the pipes to move freely, and you have done the opposite, and trapped them. Maybe not all the clips are making the sounds so you could trace the worst and remove the clips.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:24 am