DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Create opening in load bearing wall at bottom of staircase

Postby Rob7256a » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 am

Hi I am looking for some advice before contacting BC.

I am looking at adding a small side extension with access via an opening at the bottom of the staircase in the original building. There isn't enough room for the 400mm clearance required by BC between the bottom of the staircase and a new door. But can I create an opening the size of door way (with correct lintel) to allow access to the new extension without a door or have the door open into the extension away from the staircase?

Many thanks
Rob
Attachments
Staircase opening.jpg
Rob7256a
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby GR1587 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Rob7256a wrote:Hi I am looking for some advice before contacting BC.

I am looking at adding a small side extension with access via an opening at the bottom of the staircase in the original building. There isn't enough room for the 400mm clearance required by BC between the bottom of the staircase and a new door. But can I create an opening the size of door way (with correct lintel) to allow access to the new extension without a door or have the door open into the extension away from the staircase?

Many thanks
Rob

Could you put a sliding door in on the extension side?
or a bi-fold door?
GR1587
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!