Creating a vertical DPC instead of taking brick out
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greenhm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Creating a vertical DPC instead of taking brick out

by greenhm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:28 pm

I am building a side extension which abutts an existing outside wall. The corner of the existing house therefore will bridge the cavity and I will have to cut through the brick and insert a physical vertical DPC to stop the rain penetrating across the brick and onto what will become an inside wall.
The problem is that at one end I also have an abutted garage that will form the new outerskin on a new cavity wall. I am unable to get a masonary cutting tool in to the corner because of the amount of space available given that the outer skin already exists.

I am thinking of inserting a chemical DPC up the wall at this point instead. It would also have the benefit of maintain the structural integrity of the old outer skin. However it would still leave a cold bridge.

The questions are, is it acceptable to create a vertical chemical DPC? If so what system would people recomend and can anyone think of any alternative approaches?

Mal G
:?:

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

by tucny » Fri May 04, 2007 11:01 pm

A verticle dpc may be possible as a continuation of a physical dpc. What type of chemical dpc depends on the construction of the walls. There are different types of cdpc and different methods of application. Some more info on the consruction may help.

greenhm
Apprentice
Apprentice

by greenhm » Tue May 08, 2007 5:43 pm

The outer skin of the wall which will becaome an internal skin of the extension is rustic brick at ground floor level and rendered block at first floor level..

Mal

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

by tucny » Tue May 08, 2007 9:56 pm

providing access can be sufficiently gained with a drill and injector a cream/gel dpc injected into the morter joints may work well. This would be the easyist place to install the dpc and morter tends to taken the dpc better then spending foreven trying to injest a tough old brick.

Depending how you intend to install the dpc advise from a proffesional is a good idea, i.e. get a proffesional to meet you on site and discuss the options. Some diy systems are of very poor quality and install guides can be incorrect according to good practice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:43 pm