crumbling mortar and water coming through the brick work!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dcoonster
Apprentice
Apprentice

crumbling mortar and water coming through the brick work!

by dcoonster » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Ok i remember a while back somebody told me about a particular type of mortar that had to keep a certain amount of moisture...is there such a thing and is it a lime mortar mix???

Ok thats the first question, next! Basically i've notice only in the past week or so a damp patch keeps appearing on the floor boards near the outside wall. I think it's a lime mortar mix because it's quite crumbly, but what i've noticed is dust has settled between the floor boards and walls. Is this possibly causing the water (where ever it's coming from) to transfer from wall to floor? (which after reading sounds quite obvious!)

There is also a few bricks missing from the inside wall and i noticed when i put my hand inside there was no cavity, is this normal???

Getting a builder to come round this evening to have a look and another tomorrow night, just need a bit of advice so i know what to expect i.e. what kind of issues he should be bringing up!

Stevis2002
Labourer
Labourer

by Stevis2002 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Lime Mortar lets the walls beneath 'breathe'.
It is usually used on Cob walls, which are usually found on pre 1900 houses, although this can differ

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:42 am