Crumbling plaster under Door Frame to be removed
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Secret_bob
Labourer
Labourer

Crumbling plaster under Door Frame to be removed

by Secret_bob » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:02 pm

HI there,

great sight with loads of helpful advice, thank you. hope this isn't come up before but my searching came to nothing.
my problem:
I nned to replace the a door frame as the oldone has rotted and dissappeared. I have had the damp course done so the new frame should be fine.
I have taken of the architraving (I think that is what the decorative bits of the frame are called) and while doing this oticed that the plaster around the door frame is very crumbly. My Fear is that if I take the actual frame out so will large parts of the plaster.

Questions:
is it ok to leave the top bit of the frame in place and only replace the side bits (as long as they fit in)?
Is there a special way of removing the frame as to not damage the plaster unnecessarily (thought about sawing the side bits into smaller sections and then taking these out)?
if a lot of plaster does come off would it make sense to build the door frame and then fill the gaps?
any other advice?

thanks again for all the help.

all the best

rob

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:17 am