Curious journey for a HDMI cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RobC

Curious journey for a HDMI cable

by RobC » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi there and thanks for clicking.

I have a curious conundrum regarding a long and winding journey for a five-metre fire-rated HDMI cable. I hope your collective expertise can resolve this matter. 

The key question for me is not whether it's possible, but whether it is within housing regulations and indeed safe. I will explain the cable's journey below:

1) First it goes into a stud wall in Room 1, then up three meters into the ceiling of Room 1 and into the floorboards of Room 2
2) When in the floorboards of Room 2, it travels 1 metre across, into the very base of another stud wall in Room 2
3) Then, when in Room 2's stud wall, it travels 50cm up, and pokes out into Room 3

I know it's quite a bizarre journey. I'll spare you the story of how it got to that. By my calculations the fire-rated HDMI cable will pass through two safe zones. 

Thanks for reading,

Rob

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Curious journey for a HDMI cable

by chriscba » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi, that would be fine, there are no regs for that, however I would try & keep it 12" away from any electric cable under the floor boards or in the stud wall, because it might introduce interference.
I'm going to do the same thing soon, running a HDMI up to the bedroom so I can watch sky Q upstairs. Will need a HDMI splitter & 5M cable.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:24 am