DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Curved Corners

Postby changlyn8 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 am

HI I am a new user's but I am just in the process of finishing off the stud work in my apartment and want the corners to be round and not square how can I achieve this.

I don't want to put up the boards only 2B told I should have installed a special beading so that I could achieve the desired look.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 am

Postby chriseccles2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 am

Just on a similar job, myself, so here's the EASY way !
• Bring plasterboard on studding to the edges of where you want the
radiused corner to be, leaving 1" of upright stud exposed each side.

• Shape alloy mesh to the bend you want and fix this to the studs with
stainless steel screws. (This is best done in small, 18" lengths as it's
much easier to keep your profile correct than if you try bending full-height
piece of mesh).

• Apply a normal bonding plaster (Thistle) to the mesh, bringing the
corner about 1/8" below finish profile using a softwood template cut to
the profile to smooth the plaster.

• When the bonding is off, skim to finish, working around the corner with
the trowel, never up and down the wall or you will get flats in the skim
which are impossible to disguise.

Best of luck.

Chris Eccles
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics