Cutting ceiling joists for new hatch and ladder
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emmajackt
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting ceiling joists for new hatch and ladder

by emmajackt » Wed May 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi, I need to cut one of my ceiling joists(pic2) to fit my new hatch/ladder. There was a hatch there already and one joist as can be seen in pic1 was already cut. I have added some pictures that will hopefully show what type of roof I have and would be really grateful if anyone in the know, can tell me if I can cut out the second joist and double trim it either side, with no problems?I have goggled it several times with conflicting answers. The joists are 75x50mm and span right across the loft and out to the outside walls. Also would it be ok to use 95x45mm timber for the frame, as I can only find finished timber 5mm smaller in width and length. Any help would be most appreciated.
Kind regards, Kev.
Attachments
pic4.JPG
pic3.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic1.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cutting ceiling joists for new hatch and ladder

by stoneyboy » Wed May 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi emmajackt
There should not be any problems cutting out an additional joist. while you form the new opening screw lengths of your 95x47 to the joists beyond those already cut and the one you are going to cut. So your temporary joists will be screwed to two joist beyond your new opening both sides.
Regards S

emmajackt
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cutting ceiling joists for new hatch and ladder

by emmajackt » Wed May 06, 2020 10:33 pm

Excellent!! Thank you stoneyboy, for taking the time to reply. it is much appreciated. I will order some timber tomorrow.

All the best, Kev.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 am