Cutting Laminate flooring around door architrave HOW!
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JOV
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting Laminate flooring around door architrave HOW!

Post by JOV » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:56 pm

What is the best way to cut Laminate flooring to get it to fit neatly around door architrave etc - especially the fancy moldin I have on some of my original 1906 doorways.

Or shall I just stick to carpet.

claire.arnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by claire.arnold » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:00 am

Hi, I reccommend laminate flooring as it's so much easier to deal with & costs the same as carpet these days. My husband used a small jigsaw to cut intricate shapes around the door frames. You just need to measure & pencil onto the wood making sure you leave room for mistakes, or just start on a new piece of wood! This takes time & patience (which my husband has none of either) & after using a few pieces for the first door frame he got the hang of it. It doesn't need to be absolutely perfect as you can buy a range of wood-coloured flexible sealants that you sqeeze into the gaps. The sealant allows room for shrinking & swelling of the flooring as the seasons change & prevents any debris filling the gaps. You can then attach your skirting boards to cover the gaps (or attach the laminate strip to your existing skirting board which is what we did).

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:59 pm

I slide the laminate and underlay up to the architrave and mark along with a pencil, then I cut the architrave so that the laminate slides under it, there's no cuts and no gaps, leaves a well finished job.

Comfoot Flooring
Labourer
Labourer

Correct tool to use

Post by Comfoot Flooring » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:38 am

The best tool to use is a Fein Multi master tool. It has several different blade attachments, and cuts very neat with no gaps at all. We wouldn't recommend using a fillers as these can harden and all laminates need to be able to flex or they will get warped damaged.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Post by nitro23456 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:33 pm

I cut the architrave and slid my laminate underneath.

Looks a lot better and gives a professional finish.

Jimcub
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cutting Laminate flooring around door architrave HOW!

Post by Jimcub » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:44 pm

On a long hall with 7 doors I tried to cut the door frame with a multi tool, worked very well until I came to the door across the way.
This needs the laminate to be bent up so as to get the board to lock into the other board, but the laminate I cut is under the door frame so cant be bent up.
I can see the only way to get the piece in is not to slide it under the door frame, tried all ways to no avail.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm