Cutting laminate panels (kitchen fitting)
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tmjmed@yahoo.co.uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cutting laminate panels (kitchen fitting)

by tmjmed@yahoo.co.uk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I am currently fitting my kitchen, which was selected by my better half, and includes a fair amount of laminated panels which will need cutting to size. The laminated panels are not worktops, they consist of end panels and surrounding panels selected by the missus to make it look "special"

What is the best way to cut these panels. In the past I have used a jigsaw, which has left the edge chipped and rather unsitely which wont go down too well :-(. Maybe it was blunt, maybe there are better blades; any advice would really be appreciated. I need a neat unchipped cut.

I have to also cut a base unit around a soil stack. As this will be hidden its not so tricky. My plan was to simply patch it up with plas board to give it some strength rather than just leave it open. Any advice?

Thx

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:17 pm

there are laminata blades for jigsaws, which cut on the downstroke.
Whether you use a jig saw/skilsaw/handsaw it is vital to cut on the down stroke to avoid chipping.
If necessary turn the board upside down to cut.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:10 am

Even if you can achieve a clean cut, it is always difficult to cut in a straight line with a jigsaw and any visible edges will look poor.

The best finish is always with a router using a straight edge as a guide. Cut the panel 5mm longer than needed with a saw then router down to the exact size.

tmjmed@yahoo.co.uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Router

by tmjmed@yahoo.co.uk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Just trying to find a router that balances quality with price. Given the requirement for cutting laminate panels: how about:

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... 00W-Router

Thx for the advice

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Yes, I think it should do the panel edges if they are 18mm. DeWalt is generally good kit, and for what you are going to use it for a cheaper router would do.

Don't expect that DeWalt to cut the worktop joints will you? For that you need a more powerful motor, a 1/2" collet and plunge depth to suit. (Which isn't mentioned.)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:28 pm