DIY Doctor

Main navigation

cutting new doorways in internal wall

Postby russellfl » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:52 pm


Can anyone help?

On the advice of a builder I met I have gone ahead and cut a couple of doorways in an internal block wall in my bungalow. I have checked and the wall doesn't support anything as it runs the same way as the roof joists, but after trawling through the web about building regs i'm not so sure now that I should have contacted building control and put in a building notice. can anyone advise?

Cheers and happy new year
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:53 pm

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:32 am

The short answer is yes, all structural alterations should have BR approval.
In reality if you have fitted PC lintols over the opening you can get retrospective approval if you need it. This situation will only occur if you want to sell your home within a 4 year period or someone shops you!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5336
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics