Damage to lacquer on wooden kitchen worktop
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SHL01
Labourer
Labourer

Damage to lacquer on wooden kitchen worktop

by SHL01 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi there,

Wondering whether someone might be able to advice.
Two years ago I installed a solid wood birch kitchen worktop, which I lacquered with Manns Trade Extra Tough Pro Lacquer (4-5 coats). This has mostly held up well, but is now suffering some damage which I am unsure how to go about repairing or avoiding in the future:

1. The lacquer has pealed back around the gas hob and the wood seems to have slowly gained oil stains (cannot be water, as never have any water sitting there). -see image attached. I am guessing this might be because I didn't use a sealant around the gas hob? Should I? What may have caused the pealing back of lacquer?

2. Stain damage randomly in the middel of the board

3. Stain damage by sink (probably caused by damage to sealant? how to avoid?)

see images attached.

How would you recommend proceeding? Sanding back the entire worktop? reseal with same product? Different product? Should a gas hob be sealed in to avoid this pealing? What can be done to oil stains? Any advice would be very much appreciated as will be difficult to afford a replacement atm.

Thank you
Attachments
stain mid board
stain mid board
water beginning to cause crack and stain by sink
water beginning to cause crack and stain by sink
lacquer pealing around gas hob and wooden board oil stained from cooking
lacquer pealing around gas hob and wooden board oil stained from cooking

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damage to lacquer on wooden kitchen worktop

by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Hi shl01
Damage around the hob and sink are probably because the end grain around the cut outs has not been sealed.
On the hob can only suggest you remove the hob and soak the top surface with white spirit whilst holding an adsorbent pad on the adjacent end grain. This will need to dry and the end grain sealed.
On the sink, again remove it allow the wood to dry thoroughly, fill the crack and seal the end grain around the cut out.
On the mid position staining look for a defect in the worktop surface and remedy this.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 am