Damp and damp proofing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sammy
Labourer
Labourer

Damp and damp proofing

by sammy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:38 am

Hi,
I live in an end of terrace house built circa 1900. the house is at the foot of a steep hill. There is an old stone wall about 6' high and just less than 1 foot away from the back of the house. This wall holds the garden up, most of which slopes upwards to a level higher than the house. The interior wall of back room adjacent to the garden wall is very damp. After the recent rains we have even had puddles on the floor. As access to the outside of the back wall is limited, what would be the easiest solution to get rid of the damp? Could we tackle the problem solely from the inside?. Thanks.

gilly
Labourer
Labourer

by gilly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:43 am

I have the same problem with my conservatory, I would dig the garden back a few feet and rebuild the retaining wall with a land drain at the back and then backfilled with small stones to help water drain. and then put some strip drainage dug into a small trench at the front of the wall, I can not do this as my conservatory is built too close to next doors garden, I am now looking into painting a sealant called NB1 on the inetrior walls this will stop the water coming in but ultimatley not stop wall from becoming damp. hope this is of some use

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

free advice

by dcmoore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:01 pm