DIY Doctor

Damp at floor level under window

Postby AJG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 am

Hello, i could do with advice please. Quick profile ... 2 bed inner terrace built 1901, kitchen and bathroom extension put on sometime in the mid 60's, i bought the house 1990, 3 years ago i had new double glazed windows throughout and a new back door (this is in kitchen next to lounge window) i decided to take out old skirting boards under living room window and discovered that they were mouldy behind and the wall in the recess under the boards was wet, i scraped out and hoovered up all of the loose rubbish and i have so far sprayed the wall and floor with a mould and mildew spray.
So, is there anything I can do myself? do I scrape all the damp and lose concrete and put some sort of sealent in there? if that's the answer can someone tell me which sealent would do the job - I'd be grateful for any suggestions please
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:02 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:12 am

buy a buitumin paint (synthproof) or similar and paint the wall and the floor around the area, also paint the back of the skirting and let it dry before fitting.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics