Damp Behind Pre-Fabricated Brick Panels in Conservatory
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

Steve2381
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Behind Pre-Fabricated Brick Panels in Conservatory

by Steve2381 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi all.
Moved into our new house. We knew there was a slight smell of damp in the conservatory (which doesn't appear to be that old).
It is one of those galv frame style builds (like them or hate them), that has been clad with those composite brick effect panels on the outside.
I have to say, the brick match to the house is very good.
Luckily, there is a full width window seat at the end of the room which was not lined (why would you not line it?), so I could pull out the rockwall to reveal the rear of the composite panels.
There are two areas of wet. One appears to have a thin coating of what looks like soil? Its not mould. Seemed fiberous to the touch (maybe the rockwall began to break down?)/
Anyway... any ideas of what might cause the rear of a composite panel to get wet? I cannot see any holes outside, and the damp course is clearly above the ground. Probably shoddy installation work.
I think I will stick a blow heater in there and see if I can dry out the panels.
The main room has underfloor heating, but there is nothing in the window seat. Condensation? I would have thought it would have been the entire width of the room, not just in two random spots.
How about fitting an air vent?
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks all.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 am