Damp brickwork
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tricyclist
Labourer
Labourer

Damp brickwork

by tricyclist » Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 pm

I have a brick-built bungalow circa 1960. The front of the building faces north.
The damp course is about 6 brick courses above ground. The bricks immediately below the damp course are damp. all the courses below that are dry. (Even below ground)
This only applies to about half the North side of the House.
Despite a prolonged dry period and the recent hot weather this one course of brickwork is still damp - but not as wet as it was a month ago.

The front of the house was subject to flooding in April due to an overflowing sewer but I have dug down near the affected part of the house and there is no sign of water now.

There is no damp on the inside of the house.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I can do to cure it.
Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:32 pm

It is perfectly normal, and to be expected that all bricks below the damp proof course will be wet.
The damp proof course is there to stop the ground water from rising and spoiling your internal decoration.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:34 pm