Damp Diagnosis and Alternative to Airbrick for Damp Carpet in Lounge
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spare_ribs88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp Diagnosis and Alternative to Airbrick for Damp Carpet in Lounge

by Spare_ribs88 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Ive got a damp underlay and carpet in a corner of my lounge (see pic 0358) and it looks like its coming up from damp soil under the floorboards (see pic 3025). Im thinking i need to vent underfloor better as only got airbricks on front of house and none on this side of house. However, it will be tricky to install airbricks on the problem wall due to a raised path outside (a 4" trench has been dug to lower path levels to match indoor floor level but no lower), and floor joists right up to the wall on the inside (see 2nd pic again). So can i drill a hole in my wall and floorboards and vent to outside with a 110mm soil pipe intead? This has been done further down the house in a different room and seems to be dry underfloor there. Would this work and maybe solve my issue? Any help appreciated p.s i live on a hill if that has any bearing on water levels under my house.cheers
Attachments
Damp underlay/carpet
Damp underlay/carpet
Damp soil near outside wall
Damp soil near outside wall

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Diagnosis and Alternative to Airbrick for Damp Carpet in Lounge

by welsh brickie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Ideally it would be better to remove the wood floor and install a solid concrete floor with a membrane and insulation. But if you don't want to do that, I would lay concrete over the soil, it does not have to be thick, or pretty this will stop the damp and help with ventilation, and I would also consider having a fan installed.

Spare_ribs88
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spare_ribs88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info welsh brickie. Would laying concrete just between the 1st and 2nd floor joist be enough to sort this out? Thats the only place i have the damp soil, the rest of the soil is dry.I will look into the fan option for ventilation but if too pricey can i vent the floor with a soil pipe (due to lack of access for a standard airbrick/telescopic airbrick)?

Spare_ribs88
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spare_ribs88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the info welsh brickie. Would laying concrete just between the 1st and 2nd floor joist be enough to sort this out? Thats the only place i have the damp soil, the rest of the soil is dry.I will look into the fan option for ventilation but if too pricey can i vent the floor with a soil pipe (due to lack of access for a standard airbrick/telescopic airbrick)?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 pm

its best to concrete over the entire floor area, the damp will only travel if its not done.
installing any more ventilation will help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:43 pm