damp forcing salt out of wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
slippyjim
Labourer
Labourer

damp forcing salt out of wall

Post by slippyjim » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Hiya,

This is strictly not a damp problem, but kind of related with my apartment in Tenerife. I have just had parts of it replastered as the walls were a right mess but unfortunately I did not realise at the time that the problem will not go away that easily. My apartment was built almost 20 years ago and back then the numptys used sea water to make the breeze blocks so now there is loads of salt in my walls trying to burst out. Where the walls were worst affected I scraped it back as far as I could and then got a plasterer in to patch it up. He put some stuff on that is supposed to get rid of the salt in the block work, then something else then the actual plaster, but a few hours after he had done it we could something wasn’t right. Virtually wherever I had a problem before the plaster looks like it has not dried (but it has) and is all rough not smooth like the unaffected areas. If you look closely you can see salt crystals on the surface of the plaster. In the really bad areas it has blown off already, if you press it gently you can feel it is not attached to the wall.

My questions are:
Is there anything that can be done to fix this permanently?
If I just ignore it and paint over it (my favoured option at the moment due to money) is there any special paint that might help?
Is there any solution I can put on before painting that will help?

Thanks,
Steve

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am