Damp Ground Under Floorboards Causing Damp on Interior Walls?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mark2422
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Ground Under Floorboards Causing Damp on Interior Walls?

by mark2422 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi, since moving into our house 18 months ago we have noticed damp at the bottom of the 3 interior walls under the stairs. The damp shows through on the other side of the walls in the dinning room and front room.

This morning I decided to take of the skirting boards and lift the floors boards to see if it was a leak on a radiator pipe as all 3 walls each have a radiator on them and the pipes go under the floor.

I did not find any leaks on the pipes as all the insulation around them seems pretty dry, but the ground under the floor boards is very damp. It does not seem to damp on the opposite side of the room next to the exterior wall.

I will upload pictures. Any advice as to what might be the cause of this and what (if anything) can be done without spending thousands of pounds?

Thanks

Pictures - https://postimg.org/image/aytpj1ypj/

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Ground Under Floorboards Causing Damp on Interior Walls?

by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 pm

unfortunately the floor area is so shallow that air cannot circulate, to dry out any moisture.
It would be best to remove all the wood flooring, insulate, add a damp proof membrane and concrete. It will not improve unless that method is implemented

mark2422
Labourer
Labourer

by mark2422 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:41 am

Thanks for the reply

Paul1847
Labourer
Labourer

by Paul1847 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi
A few years ago we did exactly as Welsh brickie suggested to deal with standing water under floorboards (work done by reputable builder). Very satisfied, but hoping you could advise with issue around chimney breast. (We've been putting off dealing with it!) Seems obviously damp and it has been spreading, with salts blowing the plaster in places. Wondering if concrete has bridged the damp course in the chimney breast foundation?
Can I solve this relatively easily?

Pictures linked below.
many thanks
http://imgur.com/a/oJSjT

Mr Len
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mr Len » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi, i have an almost identical issue. Internal walls with damp showing at a consistent level.

Pictures uploaded here

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Mrlen/l ... %20Uploads

Any hints or tips are hugely appreciated!!

All external walls are fine as is the area under the boards away from walls.

What do i need to do to get rid?

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 pm