Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
devonlass
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render

Post by devonlass » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am

Hi everyone - I am new to the forum. We have been renovating an old stone cottage, and the builders we used covered the house with vandex. All has been ok for a couple of years, however following the torrential rain, we have had some ingress of water above the windows (now filled).
Is this problem likely to get worse over time, as I have been told we should have used a breathable lime render (but this is time consuming and expensive to apply, which is maybe why our builder did not use it) I did email our builder, no reply ...
Is the only way round the problem to hack all the render off and re-do?
Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm

if you have had no trouble for 2 years and then had water appear, found the source then stopped it, I don't see why you should have to re plaster,

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ruben93watson » Fri May 02, 2014 8:53 am

Give an intimation to the builder again and get the possible suggestion. A professional will be able to give you the right solution.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 am

devonlass wrote:Hi everyone - I am new to the forum. We have been renovating an old stone cottage, and the builders we used covered the house with vandex. All has been ok for a couple of years, however following the torrential rain, we have had some ingress of water above the windows (now filled).
Is this problem likely to get worse over time, as I have been told we should have used a breathable lime render (but this is time consuming and expensive to apply, which is maybe why our builder did not use it) I did email our builder, no reply ...
Is the only way round the problem to hack all the render off and re-do?
Many thanks

My suggestion would be removing all impermeable materials, like sand cement render and replacing with highly permeable materials.

Regards, Alexander
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:17 am