Damp in brickwork of chimney in two-up-two-down property?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
niftyprose
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp in brickwork of chimney in two-up-two-down property?

by niftyprose » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Hello guys, this is the first of two separate queries about the same house.

My GF bought a terraced house to rent out. It's part of a street of two-up-two-downs in a damp northern city, and all of the houses have some kind of damp problem.

We have two, of which the more serious is damp down the chimney. The chimney is built into the party wall and is still in use for a gas fire. Damp patches have appeared L and R of the chimney both upstairs and downstairs. They're not huge and they're localized.

I suspect (but can't say for sure) that they're related to some problems in the roof which we had fixed hopefully last summer. But I'm surprised that damp can apparently make its way down along the chimney brickwork to come out downstairs.

I wondered if anyone out there has dealt with anything similar. Our roofer advised that we replaster over a mesh membrane at the problem area "because the damp patch is probably just a stain as the plaster dries out." Nor sure; would appreciate suggestions.

Best, NP.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in brickwork of chimney in two-up-two-down property?

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi niftyprose
Two checks - is the termination of all flues suitably treated to prevent water ingress and is the flaunching sound? If either of these are not right water my be getting down the chimney.
Regards S

niftyprose
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Damp in brickwork of chimney in two-up-two-down property?

by niftyprose » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:23 pm

I missed the notification of this helpful reply back in, ah, 2020. Just picked it up now after a long time off the forum. (Turns out we had bad roofers. The guy who sorted out the mess repaired the lead flashing, and bob's your uncle.) Belated thanks, Stoneyboy.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 pm