Damp in corner of kitchen
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samyell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp in corner of kitchen

by samyell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi,
Im just about to fit a new kitchen and have been getting the room prep'd and ready. Started taking up the old vinyl floor tiles yesterday and noticed a damp patch in the corner of the room. The damp is located on the external wall below the skirting board. Ive uploaded some photos to this site

http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k56 ... l/Kitchen/

The damp appears to be consistent as I have been making the room very dusty and the damp patch keeps showing through. The floor in the kitchen is chipboard and was fitted about 6 years ago - the walls were plastered at the same time. The paint on the wall is direct to the plaster and is very flaky in patches, mostly from 900mm high to around 1500mm high, you can see this in the photos.

On the opposite side of the wall outside is a small patio of paving slabs which have been pushed up to the wall. The render has been applied right to the level of the paving slabs (which I have heard is not a good idea as it prevents damp in the wall from evaporating). When I lifted the paving slab the soil didn't seem excessively wet but the slab was pushed right to the wall so I guess moisture could collect there. There external wall is aprox 5m long and has 1 air brick in the middle of it. Im going to see if I can lift the floor board without removing the skirting to get a look from inside too.

Could anyone advise what the problem and the best course of action might be.

Thanks

Sam

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp floor

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:49 pm

With the damp being on the floor in 1 patch and damp up the wall to a height of 1500mm,I would check the window outside for a water ingress,any sign of cracking.Use a hose and spray the outside wall to see if the damp gets any worse.
If its not that take the skirting board off and check for a leaking pipe,Its a process of elimination....But what I would suggest is fitting another airbrick to create more airflow anyway

samyell
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samyell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks welsh brickie - will take your advise and fit a new air brick.
Have had a further look at it today. Removed more of the vinyl tiles and cut a hole in the floor near the damp patch to see whats going on under the floor boards and have also dug a bit more out from the outside.
Looks like there is a joist positioned across the air brick is so I dont think there's a lot of airflow. Gona have a look at fitting a telescopic underfloor vent near the damp patch to try to allow moisture to escape.
Am I right in thinking that the wall shouldn't be rendered right to the ground level. Have been told there should there be a couple of courses of bricks visible at the bottom to allow moisture to evaporate at ground level?
Thanks
Sam

samyell
Apprentice
Apprentice

by samyell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks welsh brickie - will take your advise and fit a new air brick.
Have had a further look at it today. Removed more of the vinyl tiles and cut a hole in the floor near the damp patch to see whats going on under the floor boards and have also dug a bit more out from the outside.
Looks like there is a joist positioned across the air brick is so I dont think there's a lot of airflow. Gona have a look at fitting a telescopic underfloor vent near the damp patch to try to allow moisture to escape.
Am I right in thinking that the wall shouldn't be rendered right to the ground level. Have been told there should there be a couple of courses of bricks visible at the bottom to allow moisture to evaporate at ground level?
Thanks
Sam

Birdy7
Labourer
Labourer

by Birdy7 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Samyell
I have exactly the same thing, old house, damp patch on newly laid floor, sandstone paving outside right up to the wall and no where for rain etc to drain away from the house. The patio has obviously been there for some time just not quite sure how to drain the water from the patio without relaying the whole thing!?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:36 am