Damp in L-shaped bedroom in bungalow
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jasmin
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in L-shaped bedroom in bungalow

by Jasmin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:01 pm

I live in a bungalow and have an L-shaped bedroom which has three outside walls. In the two outside corners I have a real problem with damp on the lower walls to a height of about 18 inches; the skirting boards are often a little wet too. This bedroom is obviously quite a cold room and I do not know whether I should heat it more or ventilate more, or both. I would like to have the central heating on more but funds restrict this. I have 4 air grilles around the room at a high level and I use a dehumidifier for a few hours daily. I do not think it is the damp-proof course as it has been injected in recent years; also a few of the neighbours are having the same problem with their same bedroom; the dpc cannot have failed for all of us. These bungalows do not have a cavity inbetween the walls, the two rows of brick are virtually next to each other. In the spring and summer everything is fine, it is when autumn and winter come along the problems start. Does anyone have any ides please.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects area at all: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There are numerous projects relating to damp, damp proofing and solving damp issues that may help you in solving this problem.

Regards

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp walls

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 am

have the roof and gutters checked,also check the exterior walls for any signs of cracks where water could seep in.
If there is no cracks and the gutters clear and the roofs ok spray the exterior wall with a silicone based solution.
If the problem still exists I would have the internal walls insulated it may be condensation issue.

Jasmin
Labourer
Labourer

Re: damp walls

by Jasmin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:21 pm

[quote="welsh brickie"]have the roof and gutters checked,also check the exterior walls for any signs of cracks where water could seep in.
If there is no cracks and the gutters clear and the roofs ok spray the exterior wall with a silicone based solution.
If the problem still exists I would have the internal walls insulated it may be condensation issue.[/quote]

I think it could be a condensation issue. Could you tell me how to insulate the inside walls please. Thanks.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:26 am