Damp Inbetween Underground Stone Wall And Plasterboard Void
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Matthewwood1987
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Inbetween Underground Stone Wall And Plasterboard Void

by Matthewwood1987 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi,

One side of my bedroom is underground, the other side is ground floor as we are on a hill. On the underground side is stone, then an air gap followed by what is assumed to be plasterboard or something similar.

There are no signs of damp on the wall but the wall is cold and you can smell and feel it is present.

What is the proper procedure? insulate this wall some how? Any help that doesn't include ripping the wall down would be great!

Matt.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Inbetween Underground Stone Wall And Plasterboard Void

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:02 pm

if you can smell damp, then its best to ventilate the area by installing a hit and miss sliding vent, which will allow air to dry out any moisture, to make the wall warmer without removing the wall is difficult, you could clad it with cork tiles or a insulated wallpaper

Matthewwood1987
Labourer
Labourer

by Matthewwood1987 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm

There is a small air vent/window already that joins the room-void space-outside in one go. I am getting a extractor fan fitted here suction from the room/void to outside, what do you think?

I will try to insulate the wall as you mentioned, am having single pain windows changed to double glazing on the adjacent wall also. Hopefully these 3 ideas will solve the problem!

Thank you for your advise.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:10 pm

yes the air vent is a good idea

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:13 pm