DIY Doctor

damp on adjoining neighbours wall

Postby jdeane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm

My neighbour has a damp problem on an external wall built many years ago directly against walls which form buildings in our garden. None of the walls have damp proof courses and one of the garden buildings is two brick courses thick .
Above one of the garden walls there are a couple of obvious gaps in the pointing on my neighbours wall.
What would be the best options for treating the damp problem without having to demolish the garden buildings?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Sat May 12, 2007 10:16 am

It sounds as if it may be the easiest solution to do what is called tanking. This involves painting on a completely waterproof skin on the inside of the wall, after removing the plaster, to stop water penetrating the building. The plaster is then replaced. This may not be the correct solution for this particular problem and we suggest that you get thye problem looked at by some damp proofing specialists in your area. You can check out the procedures they suggest by clicking into our projects section

( )

and visiting our project on DPC injection, small jobs. Contact the Deleted for that project, via their website telephone number and they will give you free, no obligation advice.
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics