Damp on External Bedroom Wall Just Below Window
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
parksey1972
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on External Bedroom Wall Just Below Window

by parksey1972 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi. New here and looking for some advice to a problem we have had since moving in our house 4 years ago.

In our bedroom we have a external wall under the window that has always had damp issues. We had a Rad fitted to see if that help (other Rad in the bedroom was on the opposite wall). This didn't really help.

So I decided to order sheets if thermal lined plasterboard to overboard the wall.

The wall is a timber frame cavity wall with damp prodding and render. After removing the Rad and skirting board I decided to pull off a section of plaster board to take a look.

There is no insulation I. The cavity at all. Should there be any insulation (I'm guessing there should be) and what can anyone reccomend? Also will fitting if thermal lined board help reduce of the damp returning? Thanks

Trying to see how to add photo's.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp on External Bedroom Wall Just Below Window

by welsh brickie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:31 pm

the insulation should be as thick as the timber studding, but not bridge the cavity, and use foil backed hard board insulation like kingspan

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Damp on External Bedroom Wall Just Below Window

by michaelbailey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:45 am

you don't say how old the house is i'm assuming it's an older type property with not having a cavity so it's probably a 280mm brick wall have you got stone lintles under the window it's possible water may be getting through if your wall is 280mm brick it's built with stretchers and half bricks the stretchers are laid to hold the wall together (wallties) these can if the mortar has perished be a source of damp

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 am