Damp on fireplace cheeks
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harryhill
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on fireplace cheeks

Post by harryhill » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi, I live in a semi detatched house both myself and my neighbour have damp on our chimney breast cheeks the whole length of the cheeks but not on the party wall! The houses were built in 1930 and our ex local authority. We have a lead water main which goes from the road under my living room floor to my kitchen and tee,s off under my house to next doors kitchen!! Its only both fireplace cheeks in both properties that are affected and not the party wall . Any ideas ??

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 pm

harryhill,
You will have to check for water ingress either directly from water entering the top of the chimney or from water entering the stack.
end

harryhill
Labourer
Labourer

Post by harryhill » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:01 am

stoneyboy wrote:harryhill,
You will have to check for water ingress either directly from water entering the top of the chimney or from water entering the stack.
Thanks for the advice will chec the flashing and make sure chimney capped!

Detective
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Detective » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

Stoneyboy is right but once the source has been fixed you need to dry the wall otherwise you will have mould or condensation problems in other parts of the house for some months especially during the winter.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:10 pm