damp outside walls
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
christina
Labourer
Labourer

damp outside walls

by christina » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

Approx. 5 yrs ago my end terrace sandstone property had a complete renovation grant on it.
Part of this was an injected damp proof course.
The kitchen (2 outside walls) continues to show damp. All the plaster round the sockets had blown. I got in another plasterer to repair this damage (oct 2010). I now have white crystals growing on the plaster around 1 socket and also under cupboards from ground level. The new plaster round sockets also looks as tho' it is cracking again.
Yesterday I had a reputable boss of a building firm in to assess the problem. (All the outside of the house had been re-rendered and painted no obvious water incursion).
He acertains that you can't use injection damp proof on sandstone houses and the kitcen should have been tanked! This involves all the kitchen being pulled out again and starting from scratch.
The local council authorised the builders who did the original work and we are awaiting their reply.
When we asked the original builder to return there was no contact.
This has been going on for so long with unpleasant damp smells in the kitchen.......I am wary of being ripped off again but am sick of the mess.
How can I be sure what is correct.
We actually had the council back who did a test and said the wall was dry.
We have already had the plaster hacked off once after original job.
HELP.
Thank you in anticipation of your experience.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm

christina,
Difficult to give you advice regarding solving this problem but here a few observations.
If as the council say the wall is dry then you should not be getting these problems.
Generally when a wall is injected the lower part of the wall (up to 1m) will be rendered with concrete to form an impermeable layer, this should not be pierced for things like sockets.
Ask your builder boss why silicone injection should not be used on sandstone houses.
Suggest you get in a damp-proofing firm to give you advice.
end

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 am

If the council are right that the wall is dry, then the problem may be caused by condensation and not penetrating or rising damp.

Any moisture in the air will settle and condense on the coldest surfaces. It is not always easy to tell the difference between damp and condensation.

If you Google - Ricmond damp and mould - you will find an excellent online Adobe booklet from Richmond Borough Council about identifying the causes of damp and tips to remedy the problem.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm