Damp Problem in Kitchen - Cupboard Caked in Mould
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Xirix
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Problem in Kitchen - Cupboard Caked in Mould

by Xirix » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:20 am

We moved into a new place last April, its a house and we're renting it. It's fine except for the fact the Kitchen has a damp wall, and its affecting one of our cupboards.

It wasn't exactly the nicest surprise when one day a couple weeks after moving in I find the double-cupboard and the drawers above it are literally caked in mould.

The cupboard in question had a small hole in the corner of one of the back-boards for it... we told the landlord, he comes to 'fix' it.. does the worst replacement job I've ever seen... made the hole bigger technically as the board he put in doesn't fit, so now the mould is getting in quicker.

I have no idea what I can do about this... I don't want to piss off my idiot landlord, but at the same time surely there must be some kind of law that makes it so he 'has' to actually fix the damn thing?

If anyone knows laws about this kind of thing, feel free to educate me.. but I'd also like to know if there's anything I can do to try and set up some preventative measures, I can't get to the damp wall, and if I could... I'm not very good at DIY so I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Would it be a feasable idea to kind of... block the mould from reaching my saucepans and such? Like get some sheet plastic and put it against the back of the cupboard and seal it tight all the way around with masking tape? That way the mould would still be growing, but it wouldn't be getting to anything in the cupboards.

Or maybe that's a terrible idea, I don't know. I'm just kinda pissed off at it at this point, even bought cleaning spray that's supposed to prevent mould regrowth... 1 week later, it's starting to regrow.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:57 pm