Damp Problem In My 19 Year Old House!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
moi_daw
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Problem In My 19 Year Old House!

by moi_daw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:27 pm

I lived in my 19 year old 2 bedroom mid terrace mews house for 11 years with no damp problems at all. In 2008 I moved out and a young couple and their baby moved in as tenants.

At the weekend I visited the property after they notified me of a damp problem inside most of the rooms where the upvc windows meet the wall.

There is also a damp patch in the corner of the main bedroom and round the front and back door.

I am wondering if the seal/mastik round the windows has broken down or if it could be something else.

They informed me that they do ventilate, do not dry washing inside and as one of the tenants has asthma she has been bleaching the walls regularly but the damp still comes back.

I am wondering what type of tradesman would be best to help with this problem as I am keen to sort it out asap. I can't believe what has happened in such a short period of time in what is a relatively new house!

Thanks for any help!!!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:29 pm

moi_daw,
Unfortunately some tenants will do anything to save their money. Eg not opening windows, not using extractors, drying washing on radiators, closing trickle vents on all windows esp bedroom. It won't matter what tradesman you send to investigate the problem, if you have "sealed house syndrome" tenants damp will always be an issue.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:08 pm