Damp problems wont go
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_elevate
Labourer
Labourer

Damp problems wont go

by chris_elevate » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 am

I'm desperate to solve my damp problems but can't get to the bottom of it.

I've got an end of terrace house, rendered, solid construction.

Upstairs at the front of the house I've got damp coming in through the walls but no signs of leaking guttering or drain pipes.

I've just recently (4months ago) has blown render removed and the WHOLE house grc rendered from top to bottom. I'm now convinced that the sides of the house won't allow damp through now because it's totally sealed!

My roof had cement tiles put on before I bought the house but not reinforced to handle the weight! The roof is therefor sagged and I wonder what amount if hassle people could get from water somehow getting into the tops of the Walls and soaking down?! Does this happen?

Is it a huge job stripping off a roof, putting some new timbers in, refelt and re tile?

Thanks for anyone that can shed some light or help in anyway

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp walls

by welsh brickie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 pm

how much damp are we talking about?Have you considered condensation issues or is it definatly penitrating.
Reroofing is costly and maybe does need replacing but I doubt that is the cause of all the damp.If you can leave the windows slightly agar to see if it helps.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:06 pm

How long have you lived there?
Does the damp come only in winter?
Does it dry out during the summer?
Where exactly is it, how high from the ground?
From the roof?
From the nearest gutter, down pipe?
Is your home in an exposed position?
Does the wall face the south, west?
Do you have central heating?
Do you turn it off, down at times?
Have you looked in the loft with a bright light and studied the rafters for water marks, ditto the floor of the loft?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am