Damp proof a concrete step for tiling over?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blacky165
Labourer
Labourer

Damp proof a concrete step for tiling over?

by blacky165 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Novice here, hopefully someone can help me. I'll shortly be re-tiling the kitchen floor. The existing floor is quarry tiles, all secure, no damp, pretty uneven, but not bad. I was going to use a self leveling compound over the top and selectively remove the most uneven quarry tiles (only 2 or 3 tiles). However I have an area of concern by the back door. The back door sits on a 30cm wide concrete sill that brings a little moisture/damp into the kitchen. The damp doesn't spread beyond this concrete sill, but I will be tiling over this sill as it protrudes into the kitchen approx. 20cm. The sill is at the same level as the existing quarry tiles.

Can I just paint the concrete sill with a damp proof paint (black jack paint?), and then use self leveling compound over this paint?

Algorithm
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp proof a concrete step for tiling over?

by Algorithm » Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 am

Hello. The best thing for that kind of work is SBR. To be exact it calls CEMENTONE SBR ADMIXTURE. Cover sill twice and it will be perfect.

blacky165
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp proof a concrete step for tiling over?

by blacky165 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Perfect! Not heard of this product before. But I've googled it, and it appears to be just what I need. Thank you!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:54 am