DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Damp proof a concrete step for tiling over?

Postby blacky165 » Sun May 02, 2021 1:42 pm

Novice here, hopefully someone can help me. I'll shortly be re-tiling the kitchen floor. The existing floor is quarry tiles, all secure, no damp, pretty uneven, but not bad. I was going to use a self leveling compound over the top and selectively remove the most uneven quarry tiles (only 2 or 3 tiles). However I have an area of concern by the back door. The back door sits on a 30cm wide concrete sill that brings a little moisture/damp into the kitchen. The damp doesn't spread beyond this concrete sill, but I will be tiling over this sill as it protrudes into the kitchen approx. 20cm. The sill is at the same level as the existing quarry tiles.

Can I just paint the concrete sill with a damp proof paint (black jack paint?), and then use self leveling compound over this paint?
blacky165
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Algorithm » Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am

Hello. The best thing for that kind of work is SBR. To be exact it calls CEMENTONE SBR ADMIXTURE. Cover sill twice and it will be perfect.
Algorithm
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby blacky165 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Perfect! Not heard of this product before. But I've googled it, and it appears to be just what I need. Thank you!
blacky165
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!