DIY Doctor

Main navigation

damp proof certificate

Postby toppin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:50 pm

i am looking to do the injection damp proof course myself, but would like know how to obtain a valid certificate on completion?? cheers, Dave.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:43 pm


Simply Build It

Postby LCL » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 pm


You will be wasting your time carrying out a chemical DPC injection. There are better ways of remedying damp to a property without injecting a DPC. You may also cause a longer term problem elsewhere within the property. This is a little understood issue about damp. Buildings that have stood for 100's of years in some cases do not suddenly develope a need for a DPC. If you seek advice from a specialist contractor, they will recommend one as it is their job. You would be better off seeking advice from a Chartered Building Surveyor specilising in damp remedial works. His / her advice will be totally independent and will likely involve only basic building measures.

Chemical DPCs can cause damp problems to manifest elsewhere in a proeprty by preventing natural moisutre vapour flow that occurs, typically with older properties. I could go on for hours on this subject, suffice to say, please dont waste your time and money. Do it properly first time and you will not need a guarantee that only lasts for 20 years as you'd have cured the problem forever.

Hope this helps.

Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics