DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Damp proof course drainage for damp inside wall

Postby cornishprincess » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:07 pm

we bought a house years ago and for many years one inside wall has had damp problems so we decided to have the walls sorted, so the guys came this morning and said they couldnt do it because one wall....the damp one...had been built up outside by about a foot to make the entrance to an annexe, level , so to try and explain this, you go past the annexe and the main houses kitchen window and then have to step down to go round the corner to the main house front door, so the damp proof course is about a foot under the path, we have been told we need to dig down approx. 500mm below the dpc and put a drainer in..???...can someone explain what this involves and what kind of tradesman would be suitable, and any idea of the cost please..xx
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Hi cornishprincess
Assuming you have solid walls (not cavity walls) you will need to expose the masonry above DPC level to the air. Below this you will probably have to instal a french drain in some form or the other - just depends where this can discharge to.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics