DAMP PROOF COURSE MINIMUM HEIGHT FROM GROUND SLOPE
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave0098
Labourer
Labourer

DAMP PROOF COURSE MINIMUM HEIGHT FROM GROUND SLOPE

by dave0098 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 am

Hi All,

My first post on here and im after information regarding damp proof course minimum height when the ground level is sloping.

Basically to paint the picture i am part exchanging my current house, we have no issues with damp inside or outside the house, but after inspection from the part exchange surveyor he has picked up on "damp proof course breach", which after questioning him about it he is refering to a part of my drive at the front of the house which is sloping not giving the required 150mm ground level to DPC height(currently after measuring the lowest point is about 100mm).

I have spoken to my builder and he has said we can either make a channel by breaking out the concrete and digging down and then laying pee gravel in the channel 150mm minimum below the DPC, or raise the DPC up by a course of bricks in the effected area and then step it back down again to join the original DPC in the un effected area.

i have uploaded a photo which is highlighted in yellow to show the effected area, you can see the step on the left hand side near the plant pots, on the right hand side the ground is sloping and a minimum of 150mm is achieved so its just that front piece which is slightly higher than the rest (the DPC is where the black cable is clipped to the wall).

so my question is how wide does the channel have to be at that point, ive read on the internet 200mm away from the brick work, also after doing this work would it be upto building regulations to pass the surveyors inspections (my builder says yes it would be but i just want to clarify it).

Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
HOUSE FRONT DAMP COURSE.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DAMP PROOF COURSE MINIMUM HEIGHT FROM GROUND SLOPE

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm

gravel will only make the water seep down the wall quicker. What you need is an 100mm wide aco channel drain laid against the wall to divert the water to the main drain, or the outlet is fitted away from the house to a soakaway, The channel system is designed exactly for this purpose.

dave0098
Labourer
Labourer

by dave0098 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. But what im asking is not about diverting water its about rising damp and the DPC not been high enough from ground level (i would imagen this 150mm min height is for incase high waters or snow) , if the minimum height was been achieved this wouldnt even be an issue.

if do what i have proposed to do, would it meet building regs?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm

you cant get over the bridging of the damp course, its done unless you lower the ground level.
You can cut a trench around the area and fill with chippings, but that will only remove the water quicker and you mentioned snow,that will hold against the wall and cause damp.
The channel system stops that happening,its also plastic so its waterproof and keeps the water away from the wall completely

dave0098
Labourer
Labourer

by dave0098 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 am

Can i carry out this work without contacting building control? i have found since removing the plant pots that the drain for my down stairs toilet is in this area (pic attached) , can i just "T" into this drain with one of those aco channels? and would this comply with building regs? the emphasis is on the job been to building regs as i dont want to do the work and find out its not to building regs.
Attachments
house front 1.jpg
house front 1.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 39863 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm

you would have to fit a trap so the water stops the smell from the foul drain and prevents any material entering the main drain.Check if aco supply one.
Or fit a T piece but install a back inlet gulley and attach the channel to that.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:23 am