DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Damp Proofing Recommendation for Small Rental Property

Postby andykent » Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Had a damp proofing contractor come to quote on a small rental house today. I was pretty stumped by his approach. I should say I've been schooled in the eco house model, where you leave structures as moisture open (breathable) as possible. So I'm struggling to know which parts of the conventional, vapour-closed approach still hold true. Anyway, here's what the guy proposed:

1. Hack everything off up to 1 metre high and inject silicon-based damp treatment gloop.
2. Tank over the surface
3. Reinstate the removed section of dry lining (apparently previously used to hide the problem), but with polystyrene thermal layer. This, apparently, drives heat into the brickwork and speeds its drying out process.
4. I've been doing this for 40 years, it's the way all the local authorities ask for it, and, "with respect" (i.e. "I don't respect you"), if you don't like it you can go elsewhere.

Which if any of the above is valid and which should I disregard? Surely the latter part of 3 defies the laws of physics? And you don't tank above ground level - do you? What does the panel think about breathable insulants such as wood fibre boards in these cases? What is the correct, up to date, industry-recommended approach here?

The problem is on level ground at ground floor level with no raised soil outside.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:49 pm


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics