DAMP
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colron
Labourer
Labourer

DAMP

Post by colron » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am

PLEASE HELP !! i live in a 1930's semi with a three sided front bay window. i've recently noticed a damp patch (ABOUT THE SIZE OF MY HAND) in one of the corners just above the skirting, & a couple of smaller ones above that. the outside brickwork is dry. in between me & the adjoining neighbour there is a climbing plant that goes to the top of the house. the level of the soil area that it springs from, is halfway up the course below the dpc. this course has an air brick in it and i have noticed an empty perp joint. is it just a case of reducing the soil level & pointing up the joint, or do my problems run deeper. also, what do i do to remedy the damp patches inside
THX ALL[/b]

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects section of the site: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There are several projects related to damp that may provide you with some useful information

Regards

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 pm

colron

In the first instance I would suggest lowering the ground levels around the bay window. Being a 1930's house, the walls I'd have though are cavity. It is possible that there is muck in the base of the cavity allowing a bridge across the cavity to occur. First things first, lower the ground levels and leave it for a while to see how you get on. The vast vast majority of damp issues can be dealt with using basic meants. Expensive damp remedial works are seldom necessary and can create wider spread issues. Best get to the route of the problem, rather than simply treat the symptom!

Hope this helps

LCL

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:19 am