Damp under bed and in built-in wardrobe
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gregos1983
Labourer
Labourer

Damp under bed and in built-in wardrobe

by gregos1983 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:05 am

Hello
I have a groundfloor flat and have currently got a damp problem in my bedroom. I have a wooden framed bed with wooden drawers underneath it but the damp keeps on getting in the drawers and causing yellow mould. I'm having to clean the drawers every week and continually wash everything that's stored in them. I'm aware that the fact I can't dry any washing outside so have to dry it on clothes-horses inside (partly due to the weather but also the lack of facilities!) could be part of the problem but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatever the weather! I've bought a dehumidifier and have been using that in my room for a few months but it keeps coming back.
Also, the built-in wardrobe seems to be suffering the same fate, despite the fact that it is quite airy and i leave the sliding doors open, with the dehumidifier on. There doesn't appear to be mould, however the walls do seem quite wet.
I can't really leave my windows open through the day, what with it being a groundfloor flat and obviously the washing inside is an issue, but these are unavoidable so is there anything else that can be done to try and rectify the problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks!

Emraa
Labourer
Labourer

by Emraa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I have almost the exact same problem.
This morning i was washing down dirty walls and as I type furniture is pulled away from nasty damp walls and a dehumidifier is going full whack.
I too am in a ground floor flat and I dry washing inside (what can you do?!) as I too don't have a tumble drier and the nasty weather won't allow me to dry outside.
I had a 'damp man' come round last year to look at the problem and he seemed to think it was a ventilation problem so I kept the place ventilated and it cleared up a little but has come back now with vengence!
The room stinks and I get wheezy some nights sleeping in there (with the window and door open) I am sure that isn't doing me much good at all.

I am afraid I don't have any answers for you but I will keep you posted, let me know if you get any answers.

Emma

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I just read your post and have a couple of queries.
Are the walls damp at all by the skirting,And is the window in the bedroom allways wet in the morning?
And any other damp visible in any other rooms?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:57 pm