Damp under old harth after digging out and re-concreting
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gem1n1
Labourer
Labourer

Damp under old harth after digging out and re-concreting

by gem1n1 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi I've been renovating an ex rental property for myself over the last couple of years. Last year I removed all the old livingroom carpet and the fake marble harth to reveal bakerlite tiled floor as the rest of the floors but the harth cavity was full of baddly set concrete and under it very flaky concrete. I dug out 100mm of dammages concrete, left it to air and then refilled with new concrete in layers about a wek apart. Its been like that for about 6 months so should be dry. I'm looking to carpet ready for christmas, so thought I'll just check for water. So covered with plasic and within 36 hours there was a slight change in colour, over the next 3 days it spread. So I uncoverd and it dried in 36 hours. So I think I have a damp problem. So I dont want to pay a fortune for a living room carpet for it to be black in 6 months. I know PVA want work as it will just re-activate with the damp. Any thoughts

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp under old harth after digging out and re-concreting

by stoneyboy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi gem1n1
Sorry but the only solution will be to dig out the concrete and incorporate a DPM, then fill with concrete again.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm