Damp wall 43 inches from ground floor
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wagon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp wall 43 inches from ground floor

by wagon » Thu May 10, 2012 11:11 pm

I have an old property 1892 with English garden wall bond brick work, the outside is rendered and masonary painted. Inside I have damp from 43 inches upwards for about two foot then the wall is dry again, I have removed blown plaster revealing brick work, at each row of headers a tape can be inserted 8 inches. Below 43 inches the wall appears to be covered in concrete prior to a layer of plaster, this part of the wall does not appear damp, so I have not removed it.
Any advise on how to treat the damp, and is the concrete a form of damp proofing?

laorc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Damp wall 43 inches from ground floor

by laorc » Sat May 12, 2012 8:38 am

Sounds like rising damp to me, i had my place treated and i thought it was rising damp but luckily it was not. The system i had put in helped with the condensation i had in my walls and its gone away now, think it treats rising damp too so hopefully if it ever comes through i will be ok.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Its highly unlikely to be rising damp,not at that height, and located in 1 area.Tap the outside wall,if it sounds hollow then it need replacing,also check for external cracking,Its penitrating through from somewhere and is finding its way through the wall.
Once you have found the culprit then you can repair the internal wall,otherwise you will be repairing the same area year after year.
Use limelight plaster internally for the repair,once you have sorted the exterior.

wagon
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wagon » Sat May 19, 2012 9:25 pm

I have tapped the outside o the wall none of it sounds hollow, no visable cracks, checked in loft roof sound and walls dry.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 pm

spray the outside wall with a hose and check for damp,window cills and door frame areas especially.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:01 pm