DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Damp wall - urgent advice required

Postby mrspotter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi. I live in an old property and just stripped textured paper off the wall to uncover a large area of damp and mould on upper part of wall. we are quite high up & i think the wall is affected by weather. i am not sure who to call out - a surveyor, builder, roofer? please advise if you can! we only moved in 4 weeks ago & had a full structural survey on the property so i am a bit disappointed as we have found this and a window is rotten. i think the whole front of house needs waterproofing and i have some water seal from wickes but am not sure who to employ to paint it on as i am not going to get up a ladder that high! thank you in advance :?: :(
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:21 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:42 pm

You don't say if the damp patch is upstairs or downstairs ? is it a house / bungalow.
Are gutters blocked / leaking ?
Could it just be condensation cause by poor ventilation ?

If you had a full structural survey done on the property, not sure what the regulations are but I'd say contact them and see what they recommend, and ask why it wasn't picked up during the survey
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics