DIY Doctor

Main navigation

damp walls

Postby zzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Dear DIY Doctor,
We have recently had our whole house newly decorated (last year - typical) but a few months ago we noticed some brownish patches of damp in the back bedroom, high up in the corner of the wall facing the windows.
Now we have also noticed damp brown patches and mould in the front bedroom. Again these are in the middle/top of the wall facing the window.
We do not know whether the damp is coming through the wall from the neighbours next door, whether it is the guttering (unlikely to be our guttering as it is fairly new) or whether it is coming from next door guttering or from our roof.
Is there anything you could recommend us to do? Do we need to get a specialist in to tell us what is the problem. If so do you recoomend anyone?
My mother is elderly - 76 years old - so money is tight and I do not want her getting 'conned'.
Many thanks for your help
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:30 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

ask your friends,family or people you work with, for a builder they have used in the past. recommendation from someone you know is the best way to go.always get 3 quotes aswell.
As for the damp it could be a crack in the wall,broken or cracked tile,gutter blockage etc.An experienced and proffesional builder will help you resolve it.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics