I've recently moved into a living space that was converted from a warehouse in North London. I was moving a box around today and smelt gas... realised that I'd accidentally turned this valve on so quickly turned it off! It smelled like natural gas and was coming out quite strongly... it is about an inch a a half thick (the pipe) and says CRANE PN-25 on the side of the pipe. Should this be here and if not should I tell the landlord to sort it out? I get that the pipe may still be there but do not think that it should still be 'live' or hooked up to gas if that makes sense (picture attached). Or is it safe with the valve, does that make it no different to the valve attached to a stove or cooker for instance? Any help would be appreciated as I'm just a bit shocked and confused right now. Thank you!
Hi, That, i beleive, is suitable for natural gas. However, it should never be allowed to be capable of being opened t o atmposphere. It requires a cap to make it safe.
Call 0800 111999 and Cadent will visit to cap off free of charge. they SHOULD then apply the RIDDOR procedure, as it is classed as IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS (ID), and is a serious contavention of the Gas safety regulations.
there will be no impact on you,but the individual who left it in that state is open to prosecution, although that would be rare, unless an actuall incident arises.
Have you bought the property? If you rent it, there should be a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate, and this should have, argably, been picked up on the inspection. If you do rent, and there is no LLGSC (CP12), he landlord and/or agent is commtting an offence.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!