DANGEROUS LIGHTSWITCH
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GazMandrake
Labourer
Labourer

DANGEROUS LIGHTSWITCH

by GazMandrake » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Howdy all...

Hope you are all well n' good.

I have a problem which I think may be a tad dangerous.
I have a lightswitch which crackles and fizzes. Finally the switch crunched and gave out. The lights, however, have remained on.

When I took the lightswitch facing off, I found that the insides were corroded and burnt-out. I switched the mains on again and the lights are still on.

I know there may be a risk of an electrical fire or something similarly dangerous(?) but obviously I cannot switch the mains off indefinitely due to frozen food, hot water etc. There is only one main power trip switch, y'see...

Does anyone know how to disable or isolate the lights in the kitchen without plunging the whole house into the Dark Ages?
Also does anyone have any tips on what I should do with regards to the wiring in the switch itself...?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
GazMandrake.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 am

Every installation is divided into circuits, to avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault. (Regulation 314.1) and to comply with this regulation each house has a consumer unit (Sometimes called fuse box) this has either fuses or trips that can be either withdrawn or switched off and are combined with your main switch and lights are normally protected but a 5 or 6 amp device so if a fuse will normally have white dots on it and found behind a cover some times the cover is held on by a single screw this may be knurled or may need screw driver and the trips are normally just behind a flip cover and marked B6 switching trip or removing fuse will then allow you to get all other power back on safely. Thus no problem with frozen food.
But your skills are quite obviously limited and as such I would recommend you employ an electrician to correct the problem.
All best Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:46 pm