Dead or no dead sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
petediyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dead or no dead sockets

Post by petediyer » Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 am

Part. 1 Hi in the property I've moved into UK - several single sockets have blank fsce plates next to them.
Are these an OLD now dead or still alive circuit? Or has someone not wanted to have double sockets for some reason? I assume the first point but any advice as I'd prefer double sockets as the blanks look odd.
Part 2. I've noticed also when I turn off the fuse at the main box for certain circuits in the home the lights in question have flickered when changing over wall lights!? So ended up switching off the main box in its entirity for safety, is that normal?
3. There are two random fuse spurs without switches not near a cooker or boiler, why would someone slip those in?
4. Is there anything different about swapping them out for new metal plated fuse spurs, ie switch off the main fuse box and replace and switch back on?

5. There seem to be three lots of earth's coming in, ie two from left live socket cable Continuously green wires and one yellow and green one linked from the blank unused right socket - any reason for 3 and why does the single socket have two earth inputs?

Any input on any of the 5 questions appreciated

To. Note. There are two separate cables coming into left end right plates and there is an earth wire running from one to the other.

Thanks
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dead or no dead sockets

Post by Mr White » Thu May 26, 2022 6:24 pm

1) Honestly? no idea. However, the back boxes you have can not have a double socket fitted. They are used so that you can have two different things adjacent each other. Example: Single socket and Fused connection unit that controls something else. (Possibly an outside flood light?)

2) No, not normal at all for lights to flicker if you have turned off the MCB for that circuit.

3) Your two random fused connection units were used for something that is no longer required, may have been storage heaters. (We will never know)

4) So long as you connect all the earths, to the face plate, AND run another earth to the back box, it should not be a problem.

5) Normally the two green earth wires should have been part of the original ring/radial. The green/yellow one has been added at a later date.

I strongly recommend you get an electrician to investigate further, as it sounds like you have other problems too, which can not be diagnosed over an internet forum.

petediyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Dead or no dead sockets

Post by petediyer » Mon May 30, 2022 2:14 am

Thanks Mr White really appreciate response.

Thanks once again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 am