3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
encompassdrummer
Labourer
Labourer

Deck Posts

by encompassdrummer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi
Slightly concerned about the following;

We had a quote for decking 50 sqm, it is ground level. We have been told that the treated posts will be driven directly into the earth with lots of them to make it a strong frame. (yep hammered into the earth).
The frame and joists will be supported off these using nails not coach bolts. 4x2 joists.
There will be many posts driven into the earth by force to support the deck frame.
The decking boards themselves will be fixed with a shanked nail gun instead of screws.
We were told the joists will not need joist hangers as nails are a better solid fix.

Q - Deck is being used.
£3,500

Secondly
Fence with concrete posts and gravel boards. Were told a wood post to secure the fence to a wall and concrete posts in between, surely this will look odd and a concrete post can be fixed to a wall.

Advice please before we waste out money, my concern is the deck posts will move and rott over time.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 am

The builders we have worked with on this type of work have usually placed the 4x4 posts in a concrete foundation for the perimeter posts & then dug a shallow hole the size of a paving slab for all the other internal support posts. With the internal ones they have well compacted type 1 into the area dug out then level the paving slab by laying on top of the type 1 a good few inches of cement.

Concrete posts should hold up perfectly ok on there own without fixing to a wall if a proper hole is dug.

whiterabbit93307
Labourer
Labourer

by whiterabbit93307 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I am guessing they don't like digging, concreting and screwing.

Personally I would look elsewhere for a quote. But the price IS probably between £3k-£3.5k

I would want for that price 6x2 joists, 4x4 posts set in concrete, 38mm deckboards. Bearers attached with joist screws/ coach bolts/all threads to the posts and joists hung on hangers and screwed/ nailed to the bearers wherever possible. And the deck screwed down.

As collectors said, a concrete end post can be used, close to the wall unless you have underground services at that point or some really strange foundations that prevent a hole being dug. It doesn't require screwing to the wall.

I would think they have told you this

1. So they don't have to dig a hole
2. So they don't have to buy a concrete ender which is about £15 more than a 6ft wooden post.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:30 pm